Archive for November, 2013
199 DolfansNYC members piled into MetLife Stadium on Oct. 28, 2012 and cheered, chanted and sang the team’s fight song as the Dolphins cruised to a 30-9 victory over the Jets.
The group’s spirited celebration was not only heard by dejected home fans throughout the stadium and clearly audible during the television broadcast, but left a lasting impression on Dolphins players.
“Oh, yeah!” said Miami punter Brandon Fields with a smile when I asked him about hearing Dolphins fans in the stands at N.J.
“When we’re up there, we usually have a pretty good presence – especially when we’re winning, doing well up there, you can definitely hear them, definitely getting loud. It’s something that (we), as players, love hearing.”
Fields grew even more excited when I told him that he and his teammates would hear over 550 DolfansNYC fans on Dec. 1 – a record for largest fan group to ever invade MetLife, and a number that has since grown to a staggering 760.
“It means a lot,” said No. 2. “It’s amazing when you go to an opposing team’s stadium and you see your own fans getting loud, cheering for you (and) rooting the team on. You draw energy from that, and the fact that you quiet their fans down.”
Come Sunday, Jets players and fans alike won’t know what hit them.
This is it! It’s finally here! Jets week! All the ups and (mostly) downs of this insane season no longer matter. All that matters is partying with 760 Dolphins fans! That’s right, we bought 760 tickets to the Jets/ Dolphins game (All in sections 323 and 322!) and we are going to ruin some Jets fans whole week. Last year the Dolphins crushed them and you could hear us loud and clear on TV in the 4th quarter and we only had 200 tickets then. Imagine what we will sound like with nearly 4 times as many. Between the game and the tailgate, this is going to be a party. For those of you going with us you got most of this in your emails from us, but here is a run down of all the important information!
- I just set up a #MetLifeTakeover Facebook page. If you have a ticket you want to get rid of or if you want a ticket and don’t have one, go there and hopefully you can find someone to do business with.
- If you can’t find someone in our group to do business with, Stub Hub and NFL Ticket exchange have a bunch of seats left in section 322. We have hundreds of tickets in that section so you will not be out numbered. The tickets are pretty expensive though so try our Facebook page first.
- We will be throwing the most massive tailgate you have ever seen in Lot L. If you want to park near us you need a YELLOW parking pass. Our four busses will roll up at 9:15am and we will be there until noon. We sold out of passes to our tailgate so if you don’t have one you can’t eat our food BUT tons of people will be tailgating around us so just BYOB/BYOF and I am 100% sure that someone will grill your food up for you. If you haven’t done one of these before everyone is super friendly!
- We bought 750 orange rally towels, so if you are sitting in 323 or 322 come and get one from us at the tailgate. They are totally free. Our thanks for joining up with us. That being said we raise a lot of money for charity so if you guys want to donate a couple bucks we won’t turn it down.
- Speaking of raising money for charity, we will have Dolfans NYC shirts, hats and (a few) beanies for sale at the tailgate. Shirts are $20 and hats/beanies are $25 but you can get a shirt and a hat/beanie for $40. Cash only. All the money goes into the Dolfans NYC fund of which 100% goes to Dolfans NYC activities and charity. We have donated nearly $10,000 to charity since the last #MetLifeTakeover. Thanks!
- We want to make a LOT of noise at the game. If you haven’t been to our bar before (Slattery’s Midtown Pub) I lead everyone in singing the fight song, signaling first down and always J E T S SUCK SUCK SUCK chants. I am in the middle of section but 323 right next to 322. So look for me and let’s get our yelling organized! I want to hear us on TV and ruin all the Jets fans day. This is a great way to get some POSITIVE attention for the Dolphins for once.
- The name of this event is “#MetLifeTakeover”. That hashtag blew up organically last year and I want to get that going again. Maybe we can get it trending locally at least. So if you Tweet or Instagram from the event please use that hashtag. Also please @ us. We are @DolfansNYC on both Twitter & Instagram.
- Lastly, if you haven’t been to an NFL game this year don’t for get about the NFL’s moronic clear bag policy. You can only bring in clear bags under 12″x 12″ in size. They recommend a 1 gallon freezer bag or of course you can buy a Dolphins branded bag too. Amazon has a bunch. We will have some extra freezer bags at the game incase anyone forgets.
So I think that’s it! Here is a video we shot last year at the tailgate. Imagine this times four! Alex Bente and crew will be back at our tailgate again so look for him and his video crew! Phins up!
“On nov.11th the monday night game we have mercury morris coming to raise money for our xmas toy drive for over 200 children in the city of hartford. If not for this party, these kids would have nothing for the holidays. I know you guys do a great job for your charities would you consider asking if any of your nyc fans would want to come? it will be a small group(about 50) mercury will be staying for the whole game and he loves to talk! This is having drinks and watching Miami Dolphin’s football with the great Mercury Morris! The cost is $100.00 dollars (includes food) in advance or $150.00 at door, if tickets are left.
There’s also a link on www.woodyshotdog.com where people can make donations. Not only will the cash go to toys but we will bring in teenage boys and girls to meet Mercury that night!”
So even if you can’t make it up, donate some money and help some kids in Hartford have the great Christmas they wouldn’t have without your help! DolfansNYC is all about doing positive things for this world so hopefully you guys can get on board and donate! We will be making a $100 donation as well even though we are going to be in NYC watching the game at Slattery’s! Phins up!
I hate this Incognito/ Martin thing so much that I hate that I even have to address it, but I do. I am so mad at all the media and fan speculation about this. We have no idea what really happened and I am not sure we ever will despite what the NFL will tell us. I do know that we need to move slowly and carefully with this as a fan base and we have to stop jumping to conclusions.
I also want to mention that situations like this are EXACTLY why I like to keep things positive. Believe it or not, players are people and they need our support. Players want to play for franchises that will support them through thick and thin.
Ben Volin wrote an article today speculating about the reasoning behind Martin’s blaming of Incognito AFTER the Dolphins said they were going to put him on the Non Football Injury list. The quick summary is that Martin needed to get out, but he wanted to keep getting paid so he blamed Incognito.
Now I hate speculation like this, and we shouldn’t judge anyone until we learn more about this situation, BUT if Incognito WASN’T the main reason for Martin having a breakdown I think the fans might be.
Every single week I heard fans tear down Martin even when he was playing well. He was letting sacks up but he had far less QB hurries than other linemen. He is a young player making a position switch taking over for a career pro bowler and fans ripped him apart.
Imagine if when you got home from work every day 1000 people on Twitter called you worthless. Martin might be too weak to take the NFL but there is no reason you should have to deal with that shit.
Fans can do very few things to make an actual impact on the team and we owe it to ourselves to use every opportunity to do so. Go to games, get loud on third downs and support your players. Make them WANT to play for you.
That’s what being a fan is all about. Phins Up!
On Thursday Dolfans NYC threw a big Halloween party and the Dolphins won in miraculous fashion as Cam Wake sealed the game with only the third overtime safety in NFL history. Another great half was wasted with another poor third quarter but Ryan Tannehill made the plays he had to make to lead the team to a game tying field goal with seconds left in regulation. When the safety happened Slattery’s Midtown Pub erupted and we had free shots all around. The Dolphins broke the Bengals winning streak and ended their own losing streak and we partied.
We had DJ Tropic DJ again and he killed it all night. We had a costume contest as the three finalists battled it out via Instagram to see who would get the most likes. Mr. McGibblets out beat Ricky Williams by one vote and Joe Philbin came in a distant third. I loved the Philbin costume but after four straight losses he didn’t get a lot of love. My pajama wearing “Tired Of Losing” costume got the most votes but of course I was not eligible and Mr. McGibblets walked away with a hat signed by OJ McDuffie and Sam Madison. Mr. McGibblets also promised he would be coming to our #MetLifeTakeover on Dec 1st in full costume!
The next Dolphins game is a Monday night game against the Bucs and we will be having DJ Tropic in the house again as well as a huge raffle. We also will have our new DolfansNYC hats for sale again. I hope you guys get a chance to pick one up. Hope to see you guys then.
And lastly, before we get to the pictures I wanted you guys to check this video from the “Miami Dolphins Web Weekend” that the Dolphins posted on their site. DolfansNYC got a lot of love in it and special mention of the $3000 we donated to the Miami Dolphins Foundation. Thanks to you guys for our opportunity to do so much in the way of charitable donations!
Now check out the Halloween party photos from Slattery’s Midtown Pub below. Double click to open em in a new window so you can save them to your computer!